Friday, February 1, 2008

Decluttering My Possessions

In an effort to achieve my previously stated goals I'm on a mission to also dispose of some clutter. For some reason getting rid of stuff is particularly difficult for me. I envy those folks who can just decide they are ready to toss aside a piece of furniture, book or "knick knack". I'm not one of those people.

Over the past 4 years since we bought the condo things have just started piling up. Our one spare room became the dumping ground. At one point it was organized and all put together, but when it comes time to find something all hell breaks lose.

It got so bad that we just stopped going into the room. Every effort to straighten it up ended in futility because we couldn't rearrange one item without rearranging the ENTIRE room. What a headache! And I just couldn't bear to part with some things that I should just get rid of.

So I cam up with a solution. And its working....sorta. And the solution is based on a big motivator....money. We rented a storage room and hauled the stuff there. Yes, its costly but the expense is motivation enough to clean it up. Everytime I pay the rental on that room I start to think how much I could save if I just "decluttered" my life.

At the other end of the motivation spectrum, I'm able to part with stuff if I can sell it, give it to a friend or charity. Throwing it away when there is some useful life to it just seems wrong to me.

I'm getting excited about selling the stuff because now I see $$ signs everytime I look at an unused "thing" in my storage room.

This is just another step in trying to live a more intentional life.

Next up: I'll write about my $20 theory I'm testing out.

No comments: